Premier League latest transfer news: Philippe Coutinho to Chelsea for gargantuan fee as Blues also look to sign Real Madrid superstar and more
Hello and welcome to the Premier League latest transfer news and rumours of the day! Here are the top stories of the day surrounding the Premier League!
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has opened up to the possibility of squad players like Denis Suarez leaving the club. The Spanish midfielder has been linked to Arsenal and Valverde stated that they could leave this month in search of more playing minutes.
“We are happy with the squad but there are always possibilities for departures for those who maybe do not feature as often,” he said.
“Those players could stay here and we would be happy or they could leave in search of more opportunities, we will evaluate all possibilities for them.
Meanwhile, Don Balon have revealed that Chelsea are set to make an offer of €115 million for Coutinho and are also evaluating the option to have Isco included in any deal that sees Eden Hazard going to Real Madrid.
#2 Manchester madness ft. Fekir
Manchester United have completely transformed their fortunes since the arrival of former striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as their manager. The Norwegian has improved their results on the field, which might push them to do something off it.
According to Mirror, the Red Devils are going to launch a £25 million bid to sign Steven Bergwijn in this window.
Meanwhile, former Liverpool target Nabil Fekir has stated that he still dreams of playing in a foreign league. His words come just 7 months after his supposed move to Liverpool failed at the last moment.
He said: “I do not know (how long he will stay). Last year was supposed to be my last, and in the end I’m still here. I cannot know the answer to this. I am happy at Lyon, but which player doesn’t dream of discovering a new league, another club?”
#3 Hazard to Real Madrid done
Chelsea star Eden Hazard has been linked to Real Madrid for a long time now and it seems as though the former Lille star might finally join the Galacticos. According to Spanish journalist Eduardo Inda, the Belgian has already signed a pre-agreement with the Merengues.
He stated that the Blancos are set to pay him €13 million annually as well as bonuses for winning accolades like the league, Champions League and the Ballon d’Or. He concluded by revealing that the contract for Hazard is going to be 5 years long.
“Real Madrid has a pre-agreement by Hazard,” he said. “And they are €13m (11.44m) net per season (£220,000-a-week) plus one in case the league is won.
“Another if it is Golden Ball and one and a half if it is a European champion. And the contract is for five seasons.”
#4 Newcastle and Bournemouth
Rafa Benitez has been nothing short of tremendous for Newcastle United. The Spaniard has had to work with a very tight budget and yet he has managed to keep the Magpies away from the relegation zone.
However, according to The Telegraph, the former Real Madrid manager could leave the club at the end of the season should Newcastle not make the signings that he has asked for. Benitez, it must be added, prefers to stay with the club but would find it hard to do so if his requests aren’t fulfilled.
Meanwhile, according to reports, Bournemouth have agreed to a deal to bring Wales international Chris Mepham for €12 million. The player is set to undergo a medical prior to the move on Tuesday.
He would be the third arrival at Bournemouth in this winter market after the club signed Nathaniel Clyne on loan and Dominic Solanke permanently.
#5 Tottenham transfers
Tottenham Hotspur might be doing decently in the Premier League but the holes in their squad are quite apparent. They have lost Harry Kane to injury until March and Heung-min Son is currently on international duty with Korea at the AFC Asian Cup 2019 in the United Arab Emirates.
Even then, however, journalist Dharmesh Sheth doesn’t think that they would make any signings in the winter market. He thinks that Levy’s tough negotiator tag would come under scrutiny if he searched for a forward now.
“If you think about it, chairman Daniel Levy, we all know what he’s like,” Sheth said.
“He’s renowned at being one of the toughest negotiators in the game – but this would be in reverse.
“Just imagine this scenario, Tottenham went into the market with the potential selling clubs knowing they were desperate because Harry Kane is injured. You can imagine them adding a premium to any transfer fee or loan fee.”
He also added that signing someone just to cover up for Kane’s injury is going to be hard because the targeted player could be worried about his place in the team once the Englishman is fit.
As a result, Sheth believes that Spurs won’t sign anyone in the January market.
“Add to that – and any player coming in – knowing they’d only be realistically selected in Kane’s
“I get the impression Tottenham will carry on with what they’ve got.
“In conclusion, Tottenham are very careful about who they buy. There’s always a long-term strategy normally attached to most of their signings.”